eLibrary® Canada is an affordable and easy-to-use online general reference database for Canadian K-12 schools and public libraries. The service combines premium full text and multimedia content, unique functionality, curriculum support tools, and user-friendly search options to give users the ultimate online research experience. Designed for both novice and advanced researchers, eLibrary Canadafeatures nearly 3,000 sources including newspapers, magazines, books, maps, audio/video titles, transcripts, weblinks, and pictures.
Titles cover a wide range of subjects including business, education, general reference, health, language arts, sciences, social sciences, and many other curriculum-specific subject areas. Every magazine, journal, newspaper, book, and transcript is provided in 100% full text—saving valuable search time and reducing the frustration of abstract-only results. Plus, the variety of multimedia content supplements and enhances text-only information.
Users will find quality information from eight different media types:
- Magazines—more than 1,800 full-text titles that cover general interest to peer-reviewed
- Newspapers—track trends and follow current events with over 300 full-text national and international titles.
- Books—place information and topics in context using nearly 400 full-text reference books.
- Maps—find over 7,000 topographical, historical, thematic, and interactive maps.
- Pictures—explore more than seven million photos and images—both current and historical—of art and architecture, animals and plants, people and places, and more.
- TV & Radio Transcripts—get the final word on broadcast programs with nearly 2 million transcripts from popular TV and radio programs.
- Audio/Video—more than 18,000 streaming audio and video files bring events and processes to life. Clips include historical footage, current news programs, animations of how things work, and more.
- Weblinks—search the Web more effectively with more than 115,000 editor-screened and selected websites indexed by topics appropriate to K-12 study.
Research Made Easy
eLibrary Canadaprovides Canadian K-12 schools and public libraries with compelling resources for reinforcing technology and information literacy for users of all ages. In addition to meeting a wide range of research and curricular requirements, eLibrary Canada’s high-quality content and easy-to-use search features can help students and patrons quickly find the information they need.
- Search Canadian sources only—Researchers can limit their search to Canadian sources only for a true Canadian focus.
- Search French language content only—Researchers can limit their search to French language publications exclusively.
- Research Topic pages—Review the best (and most visually attractive) content, curated by editors, on more that 7,500 of the most popular search queries. A great starting point to learn the context behind the topic before exploring the article results.
- Multiple search options—Keyword, Boolean, Topic, Reference Desk, Publication, and Reading Level/Lexile Search can help users pinpoint the information they need.
- More functionality—Reference Desk, Citation generator, Highlight and Look-Up, and MyList can save researchers time and effort during the research process.
- Added curriculum support tools—Whether you're a librarian or teacher, eLibrary provides the ability to create you own timelines and slideshows, create quizzes and annotate content for later review. In addition, documents are aligned to provincial curriculum standards, with a standards search tool linking each benchmark to a continually updated collection of documents.