*Default values used in the 360 MARC Updates calculator
The default value of 98,000 total electronic holdings is an average of total e-serials holdings (55,000) and total ebook holdings (141,000) reported by a cross section of libraries in response to ProQuest surveys.
Manual MARC record updating durations are based on information gathered by ProQuest’s CONSER-certified catalogers during discussions with librarians who are currently attempting to catalog their own e-resource MARC records:
- Updating a catalog record for an e-serial or ebook that the library already holds in print takes about two minutes each, and is done by student staff.
- Updating a catalog record for an e-serial or ebook that the library does not hold in print requires cataloging staff to locate and download a record from OCLC. This is done by paraprofessional staff, and takes approximately 10 minutes per title.
- In certain cases (approximately 5% of the time), a holding represents a serial that the library does not have in print, and requires investigation by professional catalogers since paraprofessional staff are unable to locate appropriate copy cataloging records; or when there are issues that simply require a greater level of expertise. Records in this category take approximately 30 minutes per title.
Unless otherwise noted, costs for Salary Information are based on 2012 figures in Occupational Outlook Handbook, 2014-2015 Edition, at http://www.bls.gov/ooh/.
- Student assistant: $9.50 per hour is based on information gathered from the websites of a cross section of academic libraries.
- Paraprofessional staff: $26,800 per year and $14.74 per hour.
- Librarians: $55,370 per year and $26.62 per hour. Note that serials catalogers likely have a higher average salary than do librarians in general.
- Paraprofessional and professional staffs typically have benefits costs of about 50% of their annual salaries. These costs include health benefits, contributions to retirement accounts, sick leave and vacation pay, and other incidental costs.